A first suspension
bridge of only one arch of 120 meters had been carried out in 1821.
the fear which the realization inspires led the authorities to revise the
project and, in front of the imperative need for an axis of communication
between 2 banks of Seinen a new bridge suspension and composed of 4 arches
is built in 1854. Work ends, and it is inaugurated in 1856. In 1871, an
expertise shows a compressing from ground, and a complete restoration of
the work is considered to be necessary in 1880, after the ices of January
cause under the pressure of the considerable damage to the work.