Le pont des
Arts is actually a footbridge entirely rebuilt in 1984.
thus, because of its position between the Louvre and the Institut de France,
it is the only bridge of Paris whose apron is horizontal. It is built in
1804 with an apron out of wooden and a cast iron reinforcement. It was demolished
in 1980 after many accidents with boats and barges, and was rebuilt in 1984,
under the same aspect, but was made out of steel. The respect of its initial
forms was preserved, but the number of its arches passed from 9 to 7, this
with a view to the alignment of the pillars with those of the Pont Neuf.